Julien Timeline 

1787
Setting up of the White Horse tavern (16, rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis) by Jean- François Gauthier, future revolutionary.
1830s
Romantic artists of the Barbizon school: Théodore Rousseau, Paul Huet, Narcisse Diaz de la Peña, Jules Dupré and Barye frequent the establishment, at painter Alexandre-Gabriel Decamps’s table. They are often accompanied by Alexandre Dumas.
1804 - 1845
Paul Fournier takes over the White Horse, which becomes one of the first concert-cafés in the capital.
1857
Actress Agar sings her romantic songs there.
1874
Opening of the La Scala café-concert (13, boulevard de Strasbourg) in the eastern part of the White Horse. Paul Fournier continues to operate his restaurant in the western part (16, rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis).
End of the 19th century
Start of Art nouveau.
1893
Birth of Julien Barbarin who would later give his name to the restaurant.
1900
Universal Exhibition in Paris, where Art Nouveau wins recognition. Hector Guimard soon begins decorating the entrances to the Parisian Metro with his floral scrolls.
1901-1902
Construction of the present building by architect Edouard Fournier, son of Paul Fournier. The restaurant is richly decorated by Louis Trézel, Armand Ségaud and Hippolyte Boulenger in Art Nouveau style.
1903
Opening of the Gandon-Fournier restaurant, with Gandon as manager.
1924
Julien Barbarin inherits the establishment. He has glassmakers Georges Guenne produce the mirrors. Charles Buffet draws up the designs.
1938
The restaurant takes the name of Chez Julien.
1975
Jean-Paul Bucher buys Chez Julien.
1989
Registration as an Historical Monument.
1997
Listed as an Historical Monument.
2003
Julien’s centenary.
2007
A scene from the film La Môme (The Little Sparrow) with Marion Cotillard is shot at Chez Julien.